|Main Page → Portal Persons → Peter Thiel|
|Born||October 11, 1967|
Peter Andreas Thiel (* 1967) is a German entrepreneur in the United States, venture capitalist, philanthropist, political activist, and author.
Thiel was born in Frankfurt, and holds German citizenship. He moved with his family to the United States as an infant, and spent a portion of his upbringing in Africa before returning to the United States.
- Germany (since 1967)
- United States (since 1978)
- New Zealand (since 2011)
He co-founded PayPal[wp] in 1999, and served as chief executive officer until its sale to eBay in 2002 for $1.5 billion. Thiel became Facebook's[wp] first outside investor when he acquired a 10.2% stake for $500,000 in August 2004. He sold the majority of his shares in Facebook for over $1 billion in 2012, but remains on the board of directors.
Thiel is a member of the Steering Committee of the Bilderberg Group, a private, annual gathering of intellectual figures, political leaders and business executives.
Thiel, who himself is gay, has supported gay rights causes such as the American Foundation for Equal Rights and GOProud.
Thiel is Trump[wp] supporter. On October 15, 2016, Thiel announced a $1.25 million donation in support of Donald Trump's presidential campaign. Thiel stated to The New York Times: "I didn't give him any money for a long time because I didn't think it mattered, and then the campaign asked me to."
- co-authored with Blake Masters (2014) Zero to One: Notes on Startups, or How to Build the Future, Crown Business
- co-authored with David O. Sacks[wp] (1995) The Diversity Myth: Multiculturalism and the Politics of Intolerance at Stanford, Independent Institute
- The Myth of Diversity - The Heritage Foundation (April 3, 1996) (Size: 10:03 min.) (Diversity, Political correctness, Multiculturalism)
- What is Multiculturalism Really About? - The Heritage Foundation (April 3, 1996) (Size: 14:06 min.)
- Wikipedia: Zero to One
- Independent Institute: The Diversity Myth: Multiculturalism and Political Intolerance on Campus
- Diversity on College Campuses (In a session entitled "Political Correctness and Multiculturalism on Campus: Is It Good for Higher Education?", Peter Thiel discussed his book, The Diversity Myth, and John Wilson discussed his book, The Myth of Political Correctness. They took questions from the audience.)
- Wikipedia has an article about Peter Thiel
- Peter Thiel - Investment Milliardär Doku 2017 (Deutsch) - Aktien mit Kopf (August 8, 2017) (Size: 12:39 min.)