Quote: «Visibility is very influential for young children and teens. That’s particularly why Mattel's recent announcement that Barbie is now available in different body shapes - tall, curvy, and petite - was a long overdue step in the right direction for positive body image, and will most likely be very meaningful to young girls. But self-image doesn't stop at your body shape, and can be quite, and even diverse. That's why Haneefah Adam, a 24-year-old Instagram user, created Hijarbie.
Hijarbie is an Instagram account featuring, as Mic coined it[ext], "mini hjiab fashion" and provides young Muslim girls a doll that looks like them. In the Instagram posts, Haneefah ditches miniskirts and bikinis for stylish full-covered outfits and the headscarf.
In an interview with Mic, Haneefah - who resides in Nigeria - said the purpose behind Hijarbie is to inspire young Muslim girls.»
- Sarah Harvard: Hijarbie Might Be the Best Doll That Barbie Forgot to Create, Teen Vogue on February 3, 2016
- Instagram: Hijarbie
- Meet Hijarbie, the popular doll wearing Muslim fashion, Al Jazeera on February 14, 2016 (Instagram account by Nigerian postgraduate featuring doll styled with modest fashion gathers thousands of followers.)
- Stephanie Busari: The hijab-wearing Barbie who's become an Instagram star, CNN on February 8, 2016 (updated May 4, 2017)
- DIY / How To Make Barbie Hijab Tutorial - CUSTOM BARBIE HIJAB - Broken BarbieTV (December 17, 2016) (Size: 23:22 min.)
- "Hijarbie" The Hijab Wearing Barbie - Youth Radio (February 11, 2016) (Size: 2:02 min.)
- 'Hijarbie' the hijab-wearing Barbie doll is blowing up on Instagram - TomoNews (February 8, 2016) (Size: 1:04 min.)
- How to wear Hijab to Doll - Handmade Cuteness (November 21, 2014) (Size: 1:36 min.)