Big Red is the nickname of Toronto resident Chanty Binx, who gained notoriety online after appearing in a video in which she aggressively promotes feminism while arguing against men's rights activists at an event in Toronto, Canada.
On January 21st, 2011, Binx launched the Tumblr blog STFU Everything. On April 5th, 2013, YouTuber 18upper uploaded a video titled "MRAs and Feminists Arguing at U of T MRA Event," featuring footage of Binx loudly reading feminist arguments off a sheet of paper outside of an event at the University of Toronto. In the first two years, the video gained over 750,000 views and 23,400 comments. The same day, Redditor Kamen935 submitted the video to the /r/videos subreddit, which received more than 2,600 votes (74% upvoted) prior to being archived.
On April 15th, the feminist news blog Manboobz (now called "We Hunted the Mammoth"), published an article reporting that Binx had been doxxed by online critics and was receiving death threats from anonymous sources.
Criticism and Remixes
On April 17th, 2013, YouTuber bane666au uploaded a video titled "Meet Chany Binx (Big Red) Reminist and hypocrite," which featured 2012 footage of Binx yelling at a street preacher in downtown Toronto. On August 20th, an entry for "Big Red" was created on the Internet culture wiki Encyclopedia Dramatica[wp]. On April 25th, YouTuber spector969 uploaded a electronic dance music remix featuring samples of Binx.
On September 21st, 2014, Redditor tt12345x submitted a photograph of Binx to the /r/punchablefaces subreddit, where it gained over 2,200 votes (96% upvoted) in the first two months.
- Does Feminism Work On Men's Issues? - Cassie Jaye - The Red Pill raw files (October 23, 2017) (Size: 13:58 min.)
- SHUT THE FUCK UP - Feat. BIG RED (Live at the university of Toronto) - spector969 (April 25, 2013) (Size: 1:43 min.)
- Meet Chanty Binx (Big Red) Feminist and hypocrite - bane666au (April 17, 2013) (Size: 4:05 min.)
- mras and feminists arguing at u of t mra event - 18upper (April 5, 2013) (Size: 12:17 min.)
- Tumblr: STFU Everything
- Reddit: A radical feminist argues with people at a male issues event
- Canadian feminist activist receives death threats and other abuse after being targeted by Mens Rights Activists, We Hunted the Mammoth on April 15, 2013
- Encyclopedia Dramatica: Big Red
- Reddit: Chanty Binx
- Everypedia: Chanty Binx (Big Red)
- Big Red - 10 years on, A Voice for Men on April 4, 2023
- Today marks 10 years since the Canadian Association for Equality held an event at the University of Toronto at which Big Red made a spectacle of herself and provided us with memes that will last a lifetime.
- Ontario woman wants to know fate of LCBO employee who took her image off security footage to post online, National Post on July 12, 2016
- Teaser: Chanty Binx has for years been the subject of online threats, which were renewed after the employee of LCBO shared her image online - violating privacy policies
- WHO IS BIG RED? - The Story of Chanty Binx - NateTalksToYou (June 25, 2019) (Size: 17:38 min.)
- In 2013, red-haired feminist Chanty Binx (Big Red) became a living meme for her viral video ranting at men's rights activists (MRAs). However, most people know little about her outside of that clip. In this mini-documentary, we'll discover what happened to Chanty Binx before and after her infamous rant.
- Feminists Love Islamists - SyeTen (February 2, 2016) (Size: 2:02 min.)
- Sye Ten: Feminists Love Islamists on SoundCloud, January 9, 2016
- Feminists Love Islamists - Sargon of Akkad (January 9, 2016) (Size: 2:02 min.)
- YouTube-Description: Feminists and Islamists have basically the same ideology, demonstrated through the magic of song by SyeTenAtheist.
- Lauren Messervey: This Is My Problem With (Some) Modern Feminists, Huffington Post on September 29, 2015
- Teaser: Chanty Binx' impassioned rant outside the MRA lecture displays everything wrong with modern feminism. It's the childish temper tantrums, the causeless wildfire, the name-calling and the abusive labeling that is frequently attributed to the feminist name. Binx' rant displays the most depressing aspect to the discrediting of the feminist cause: they are no better than the patriarchy that they aim to take down.
- Chanty Binx (Big Red) Biography, Wiki, Age, Net worth, January 17, 2022
- Teaser: Chanty Binx (Big Red) Biography, Big Red Meme, Triggered Wiki Woman Chanty Binx is a Canadian social justice activist. Because of her red-colored hair, she earned the nickname "Big Red" as a result of her internet fame. Chanty has, contrary to popular opinion, produced a lot of internet stirs outside of the Toronto MRA convention.
- Chanty went to a gay pride march in Toronto in the summer of 2012. David Lynn of Christs Forgiveness Ministries, a street preacher, was preaching his message when Chanty approached him and insulted him.
|This article based on an article Big Red - Part of a series on Feminism from Know Your Meme.|