Big Red is the nickname of Toronto resident Chanty Binx, who gained notoriety online after appearing in a video in which she aggressively promotes feminism while arguing against men's rights activists at an event in Toronto, Canada.
On January 21st, 2011, Binx launched the Tumblr blog STFU Everything. On April 5th, 2013, YouTuber 18upper uploaded a video titled "MRAs and Feminists Arguing at U of T MRA Event," featuring footage of Binx loudly reading feminist arguments off a sheet of paper outside of an event at the University of Toronto. In the first two years, the video gained over 750,000 views and 23,400 comments. The same day, Redditor Kamen935 submitted the video to the /r/videos subreddit, which received more than 2,600 votes (74% upvoted) prior to being archived.
On April 15th, the feminist news blog Manboobz (now called "We Hunted the Mammoth"), published an article reporting that Binx had been doxxed by online critics and was receiving death threats from anonymous sources.
Criticism and Remixes
On April 17th, 2013, YouTuber bane666au uploaded a video titled "Meet Chany Binx (Big Red) Reminist and hypocrite," which featured 2012 footage of Binx yelling at a street preacher in downtown Toronto. On August 20th, an entry for "Big Red" was created on the Internet culture wiki Encyclopedia Dramatica[wp]. On April 25th, YouTuber spector969 uploaded a electronic dance music remix featuring samples of Binx.
On September 21st, 2014, Redditor tt12345x submitted a photograph of Binx to the /r/punchablefaces subreddit, where it gained over 2,200 votes (96% upvoted) in the first two months.
- Does Feminism Work On Men's Issues? - Cassie Jaye - The Red Pill raw files (October 23, 2017) (Size: 13:58 min.)
- SHUT THE FUCK UP - Feat. BIG RED (Live at the university of Toronto) - spector969 (25. April 2013) (Size: 1:43 min.)
- Meet Chanty Binx (Big Red) Feminist and hypocrite - bane666au (17. April 2013) (Size: 4:05 min.)
- mras and feminists arguing at u of t mra event - 18upper (5. April 2013) (Size: 12:17 min.)
- Tumblr: STFU Everything
- Reddit: A radical feminist argues with people at a male issues event
- Canadian feminist activist receives death threats and other abuse after being targeted by Mens Rights Activists, We Hunted the Mammoth on April 15, 2013
- Encyclopedia Dramatica: Big Red
- Reddit: Chanty Binx
- Lauren Messervey: This Is My Problem With (Some) Modern Feminists, Huffington Post on September 29, 2015 (Teaser: Chanty Binx' impassioned rant outside the MRA lecture displays everything wrong with modern feminism. It's the childish temper tantrums, the causeless wildfire, the name-calling and the abusive labeling that is frequently attributed to the feminist name. Binx' rant displays the most depressing aspect to the discrediting of the feminist cause: they are no better than the patriarchy that they aim to take down.)
|This article based on an article Big Red - Part of a series on Feminism from Know Your Meme.|