Barbarian is a term which refers to an individual who does not speak the main common language or lingua franca of known Gor (called simply the "Gorean language" in the books, though there are other languages spoken on Gor) and/or who is conspicuously unassimilated to the culture(s) of the "northern civilized cities of known Gor" (as they're referred to in Assassins of Gor, book 5 of the series - i.e. the region labelled as "Civilized Gor" on the simplified map of Gor). All those from earth are by definition barbarians, unless they have been intensively acculturated to the norms of the cultural sphere of the Gorean city-states over a fairly long period.
barbarian, (noun); a native of the planet Earth, usually used in a derogatory sense in reference to slave girls from that planet. Also defined as slave girls captured from outlying regions or cities. Barbarian slave girls from Earth are considered shamelessly sensual.
Similarly, even should you learn to speak flawlessly such things as the fillings in your teeth and the vaccination marks on your arms will continue to mark you as barbarian.
On Gor, barbarians are people who have been abducted from the earth and are not familiar with the Gorean language and customs. For a real Gorean, the term barbarian is an insult. Barbarians, i.e. women deported from the earth, enslaved and educated, often bring a higher price than slaves born on Gor.
- Wipipedia: Gor-Dictionary - Section "B"
- Gorean Online Dictionary - Barbarian (englisch) - zuletzt abgerufen am 17.06.2015 (Book 5, Assassin of Gor of Gor: Page 20; Book 17, Savages of Gor of Gor: Page 83; Book 7, Captive of Gor of Gor: Page 283)
- Book 4, Nomads of Gor, Chapter 5
- Book 4, Nomads of Gor, Chapter 9
- Book 12, Beasts of Gor, Chapter 11
- Book 5, Assassin of Gor, Chapter 13
- Book 8, Hunters of Gor, Chapter 9
- GorWiki: Barbaren, Version from June 19, 2015 (Translated by WikiMANNia)